Thursday, November 6, 2008

The mission for November


I'm still in St. John's, Newfoundland sewing hammocks in Charlotte's studio, which has been very productive. I'm about to silk screen a bunch of t-shirts and hoodies sporting the Action Hero logo. If you'd like one or a few, let me know asap, and your size. I'll send them out at cost. I fly home to Saint John, New Brunswick next Tuesday, so I need to know by Sunday. Patches are already, which I can also send.

The action hero logo is the portal to the website, which will be the hub to promote all our projects. I am working on updating the site now, and seek others with more time and skills.

The mission for November:

Stitch SJ Fashion Collective is an art collective forming in Saint John which will host a fashion show using the clothes Danny the Traveling Piano Man donated to Stitch Uganda Together. The fashion show will raise awareness and funds for the project-- which is to give hammocks to orphans and bring artist/builder/green thumb volunteers Uganda for the months of April and May.
http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?id=906200533&gv=12#/group.php?gid=30460387220

On mt. Elgon, above the village of Bunabumali, we'll build the Temple of Lost and Found-- a bamboo fortress playground. I see it there in the clouds... like Shangri-La, like Shambhala... the Garden of Eden with killer mt.bike paths and backdrop of huge cliffs that will be amazing to climb. I was scoping it all out last visit, but didn't have time to do any vertical ascents. I saw a crazy lookin' pillar, and I'm sure all of it is untouched. We'll do a lot of good work and have lots of fun.

We'll also visit Rakai District, in Western Uganda. Today, I had a long chat with Tugume Gerald, who runs an orphanage there in the town of Kasensero ( http://www.aegis.com/news/nv/2007/NV071217.html ). In a place where the population consists of 400,000 people, the AIDS pandemic has left 45,000 orphaned. In Rakai, there are 975 families that are headed by children. We'll hook 'em up with some hammocks.

Action Hero hammocks are now being made by Life in Africa in Uganda. I saw photos of the ladies sewing in Kampala today for the first time, which is very exciting! For every hammock sold we'll give a hammock to an orphan. We'll likely be able to do better than that, but that's what I can promise at this time. The ladies sewing the hammocks will also be paid fair wages.

Read Grace Ayaa's post below about the hammocks making project she is managing in Uganda:

The Kireka Community
http://ayaaswwworld.blogspot.com/2008/11/kireka-community.html

Grace Ayaa is featured in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXk4GUGXNTQ

No comments: